Sunday 28 June 2015

Sweet Peas, Dahlias and Cosmos oh my!


Well, I didn't want to overload the last post with pictures.  I've also been sat thinking that I don't want to appear all self indulgent and look at what I can grow with my blog.  I am no expert and love sharing gardening tips with folk, and learning from others too. Part of the condition I was diagnosed with does affect my mood and all of a sudden I can be really hyper - hence two posts in one day! But I think I just wanted to share some of what I have been up to - especially as many of my friends are all over the place, and gardening friends likewise!

Sweet peas are coming into their own, I find with sweet peas they seem to sit there for ages, resenting you planting them out - and all of a sudden get over it and shoot away.....With such lovely scent and flowers I don't blame them for being a bit diva 'ish'.  They don't like root disturbance, and I grow them in longer pots to give them a long root run....they still sulked, but look what I picked today. Keep cutting your sweet peas for more flowers, feed and weed around them and you will get blooms all summer.  They can get mildew, so keep them watered and in good health to avoid.

 
 
Like a lot of things in life trends come and go. I remember in the 1990's when life was supposed to mirror a Calvin Klein Advert dahlias were relegated to the compost bin - literally.  Now they have had a resurgence, and why not!  Hell indeed why not.  They are easy to grow, come in a wide range of forms and colours, single ones provide great nectar for pollinators and I love them.  Now you may recall a few posts ago I listed what I had ordered, not all are doing so great, and a massive slug/snail attack has meant a few are sadly behind....but I'm really pleased with what has come out so far, and sure they will perform well into early autumn.
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment