Tuesday 24 March 2015

Spring - it is officially here

The 21st of March came and went and so did a partial eclipse....The evenings are getting lighter and the sun is warming the soil.

So I have planted some broad beans - The Sutton - a dwarf variety which is suitable for windy sites - which mine is at times.  I have 12 plants in - I got these from the market, however I also have 12 seeds planted which are just sprouting - I have to get better at successional sowing to avoid gluts and then lean periods. I have grown Witikem and The Sutton before but have decided on The Sutton only for this year.

I was seriously worried about my rhubarb.  Nothing seemed to be coming up.  However I realised my mistake whilst doing some research.  I gave the site a serious mulch which can lead to crown rot....I have removed the mulch and will mulch in summer around the plant.  I have today seen the loveliest of pink just peaking through the soil - sigh of relief, I love rhubarb crumble - after years of avoiding it!

Oh Garlic has been planted - Solent Wight (as in Isle of Wight) - which suits our climate - one bulb yielded x15 cloves - each I hope to grow! This is a soft neck variety. For ages I just heard hard neck and soft neck and was unsure what it meant - each has their own characteristics - see below for soft neck characteristics.....let me know if you want some garlic folks!

  • Does not produce flower stalks unless stressed
  • It is best harvested when the foliage starts going over
  • It has better storage qualities than hardneck varieties
  • If autumn planted it will keep until mid- to late-winter
  • If planted in early spring softneck varieties it can be stored until mid-spring

  • I haven't done much else....tidying and pruning....the shredder I purchased with my birthday money has been really useful.....But to leave us on a spring note I have some scented violets in pots - I love the scent and simplicity of these dainty flowers.

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment